BMW showcases new R 1200 RT and S 1000 R
The new R 1200 RT
The introduction of the new BMW R 1200 RT raises the bar, yet again, for dynamic touring bikes. The initials RT have always been synonymous with supremely comfortable, highly dynamic touring on two wheels. With its latest rendering in the form of the R 1200 RT, featuring a new engine and unique profile, BMW Motorrad is, once again, showing how things are done when it comes to fusing effortless travel abilities with sporty performance.
More powerful boxer engine with larger centrifugal mass for even greater refinement and smoothness.
Derived from the boxer engine on the BMW R 1200 GS, the new engine produces a peak output of 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and its maximum torque of 125 Nm (92 lb-ft) at 6,500 rpm.
On the new R 1200 RT, the centrifugal masses of both the crankshaft and the alternator were increased, resulting in an even smoother engine. Riding comfort has been improved by using a longer secondary transmission ratio to keep the engine rpm lower.
ASC and two riding modes as standard. Riding mode Pro with Hill Start Control is available as a factory option.
For optimum adaptation to the rider’s individual needs, the new R 1200 RT is equipped as standard with two riding modes along with Automatic Stability Control (ASC). The two riding modes, “Rain” and “Road”, allow the R 1200 RT to be adapted to most road conditions. The optional extra Riding mode Pro, meanwhile, includes the additional riding mode “Dynamic” plus the Hill Start Control function. The sporty nature of the R 1200 RT can be experienced to the full in “Dynamic” mode, while Hill Start Control helps to make light work of stopping and starting on an uphill slope.
Gear Shift Assistant Pro for smooth yet quick gear changing.
The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro, available as a factory option, represents a world first for production motorcycle manufacture. It enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the proper load and rpm speed ranges while riding.
Even more agile chassis offering superior handling precision and comfort.
Dynamic ESA for optimum riding dynamics in any situation is available as a factory option.
The new R 1200 RT features a new, continuous main frame to give it even greater directional stability. And when equipped with the optionally available semi-active suspension, BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment), the new R 1200 RT attains unprecedented levels of riding safety, performance and comfort, with the damping automatically adapted to the prevailing conditions to suit individual riding situations and maneuvers.
Optimized comfort, streamlined aerodynamics, more dynamic bodywork and optional LED Corona Ring feature Headlight.
Seating comfort and ergonomics have also been enhanced for rider and passenger alike. The ergonomic triangle formed by the handlebars, seat and footrests has been lowered by 20 millimeters (0.8 inches) to make it even easier to reach the ground, something that all riders and passengers will appreciate when maneuvering in tight spots or getting on and off the bike. Thanks to their outstanding comfort and effective wind and weather protection, BMW RT models have always been renowned for their excellent long-distance capabilities, now further improved by the addition of an optimized windshield. The front headlight assembly lends the new R 1200 RT a highly dynamic appearance and the optional LED Corona Ring feature gives the new RT an even more appealing appearance that is distinctively BMW.
Multifunctional instrument cluster with TFT color display, BMW Motorrad Pro onboard computer and innovative audio controls.
The instrument cluster has undergone a complete makeover, with the new R 1200 RT now featuring a large 5.7-inch TFT color display to provide the rider with an even greater wealth of data. This is where the extensive information from the standard equipped BMW Motorrad Pro onboard computer can also be selected. The display is supplemented by the analogue speedometer and tachometer dials. And for the ultimate in touring comfort, the list of available factory installed options includes an audio system with innovative operation via the multi-controller.
New color scheme in three appealing variants.
The RT’s dynamic appearance is enhanced as a result of three new color compositions: Quartz Blue Metallic, Callisto Grey Metallic Matt and Ebony Metallic.
Highlights of the new BMW R 1200 RT:
- Air/liquid-cooled twin-cylinder boxer engine with a displacement of 1,170 cc. Output 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm, maximum torque 125 Nm (92 lb‑ft) at 6,500 rpm.
- Crankshaft and alternator with increased centrifugal mass for even smoother engine running.
- Two riding modes (“Rain” and “Road”) plus Automatic Stability Control (ASC).
- Riding mode Pro with “Dynamic” riding mode and Hill Start Control as an option.
- Gear Shift Assistant Pro as an option for added comfort and speed when changing gear.
- New chassis with a continuous frame that is even more agile and more comfortable.
- Semi-active suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option.
- New bodywork in more dynamic design.
- Optimized comfort and aerodynamics.
- New, adjustable windshield for even better wind and weather protection.
- New headlight concept with optional LED Corona Rings.
- Multifunctional instrument cluster with large TFT color display.
- BMW Motorrad Pro onboard computer offering a wide range of information.
- Innovative audio controls.
- New colors.
- Options and accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards of quality.
Superbike riding dynamics and powerful, emotive roadster styling – these are the hallmarks of the new BMW S 1000 R. The new naked bike from BMW Motorrad is directly derived from the S 1000 RR superbike and uses the same innovative technology. The close family resemblance to the “RR” is instantly obvious. The pared down appearance of the new S 1000 R exudes an aggressive, dynamic energy. Based on a well-thought-out overall concept, with 160 hp maximum power and a weight of 207 kg, as well as Race ABS, ASC and a choice of two riding modes as standard, the BMW S 1000 R sets new standards in the sports roadster segment.
In-line four-cylinder engine with optimised low to mid-range performance.
When modifying the S 1000 RR’s 999 cc four-cylinder in-line engine for use in the S 1000 R, the engineers were looking in particular to provide punchy response all the way through the rpm range. To provide the ideal set-up both for everyday use and for sporty riding on the open road, they significantly increased the low and mid-range power and torque. At the same time, maximum rpm has been reduced by approximately 2,000 rpm. Maximum power of 118 kW (160 hp) is reached at 11,000 rpm and peak torque of 112 Nm (approx. 83 lb-ft) at 9,250 rpm. Up to 7500 rpm, this engine version develops 10 Newton metres (approx. 7 lb-ft) more torque than the S 1000 RR. This provides punchy low-end response that is ideal on twisty single-carriageway roads. Among other things, this was achieved by using redesigned cylinder head ducts, modified cam profiles and appropriately modified engine management. The new BMS-X engine management system also supports an E-Gas “throttle-by-wire” system.
ASC (Automatic Stability Control), Race ABS and a choice of two riding modes as standard. Riding mode Pro with two additional modes and DTC optionally available.
For optimal adaptation to different conditions and rider requirements, the S 1000 R comes with two riding modes and ASC (Automatic Stability Control) as standard. The “Rain” and “Road” modes cater to different road surface conditions using different power and torque curves, and applying different levels of Race ABS and ASC intervention. This provides an important safety bonus, particularly under changeable road conditions.
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), incorporating a further two riding modes – “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” – is available as an ex-works option. This option allows riders to make the most of the S 1000 R’s sporty performance potential both on the road and on the race track. Dynamic Traction Control, which includes a banking angle sensor, offers safe and dynamic acceleration which is currently state-of-the-art for a production motorcycle.
Innovative chassis and suspension technology with large damping reserves and high-performance brakes. Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) optionally available.
However ambitious the riding style, the chassis and suspension of the S 1000 R is a match for the dynamic power delivery of the four-in-line engine. Based on that of the S 1000 RR, it uses the proven aluminium alloy perimeter frame, in which the engine forms part of the load-bearing structure. As on the RR, an adjustable upside-down fork and a dual swingarm with adjustable central spring strut guide the wheels front and rear. Roadster-specific suspension requirements are met by a slight change in geometry. As on the RR, vigorous, stable and above all safe braking is provided by a braking system that comprises a twin-disc brake with two radial 4-piston fixed callipers at the front and a single-disc brake at the rear, with partially integral Race ABS. Dynamic Damping Control (DDC), available as an ex-works optional extra, offers the benefits of electronic damping control. For further enhanced performance, in combination with enhanced active safety, this system dynamically adapts the damping to the current riding situation with split-second speed.
The new S 1000 R’s sports roadster personality is also mirrored in the styling. With its “tail up – nose down” stance, the S 1000 R’s appearance immediately suggests aggressive performance and dynamism. Like the RR, the S 1000 R, too, is distinctive and instantly recognisable. It has a face that stands out in a crowd.
Multifunctional instrument cluster.
Last but not least, race-inspired features also extend to the cockpit of the S 1000 R. With an LC display with analogue rev counter, the instrumentation offers an unrivalled amount of information in this segment, from the gear display and riding mode display to a lap timer. For optimal gear changes, an individually programmable quick-shifter is fitted.
Highlights of the new BMW S 1000 R:
- Well-thought-out overall concept sets new standards in the sports roadster segment.
- Pared down styling with an aggressively dynamic look; clear family similarities with S 1000 RR.
- Liquid-cooled 999 cc four-cylinder in-line engine. Max. power 118 kW (160 hp) at 11,000 rpm, max. torque 112 Nm (approx. 83 ft-lb) at 9,250 rpm.
- 207 kg kerb weight with full fuel tank.
- Standard-fitted Race ABS for superior braking performance and safety.
- Standard-fitted ASC (Automatic Stability Control) for safe acceleration on surfaces with variable grip.
- Standard-fitted steering damper.
- Choice of two standard, rider-selectable riding modes, “Rain” and “Road”.
- Optional Dynamic Traction Control DTC including Riding mode Pro maximises both riding enjoyment and active safety in all road situations.
- Optional Riding mode Pro comprising two additional riding modes – “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” – for road and track use.
- Full synchronisation of Race ABS, ASC/ DTC, DDC and engine management.
- Innovative exhaust system with small rear silencer, front silencer, electronically controlled exhaust flap and two closed-loop, three-way catalytic converters.
- E-Gas system for optimal throttle control and maximum reliability.
- Suspension components with large damping reserves.
- DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) – electronically controlled damping system for optimal, dynamic adaptation of damping to the current riding situation and to the load the bike is carrying.
- Aluminium fuel tank brings further weight savings and is unique in this segment.
- Infectious handling with highest standards of stability at high speeds and when braking.
- Multifunctional instrument cluster with extensive range of features.
- Extensive equipment and tailored accessories conforming to the customary high BMW Motorrad standards.